Wednesday 5 March 2008

And Yet Another Piece of Exquisite Thought

This is one of my favorite pieces of literature by Frances Havergal.

One of the desires of my heart is to "bear a chalice" as is described in the following poem. It's not easy, I'm sure, or something to attain in a short time. It requires immersing oneself in the Word of God, day by day, in sweet meditation and communion with the Master, our Lord Jesus, and then only can we let the fountain of His love and blessings overflow from our soul to refresh that of others in need. I only have to remember the times that someone touched my heart to soothe and comfort it, to wish I could be of blessing in this manner to someone who comes across my way. Enjoy this poem, then, and let it be inspiring to you as it is to me.

The Song Chalice

"You bear the chalice". Is it so, my friend?
Have I indeed a chalice of sweet song,
With underflow of harmony made strong,
New calm of strength through throbbing veins to send?
I did not form nor fill, - I do but spend
That which the Master poured into my soul,
His dewdrops caught in a poor earthen bowl,
That service so with praise might meekly blend.
May He who taught the morning stars to sing,
Aye keep my chalice cool, and pure, and sweet,
And grant me so with loving hand to bring
Refreshment to His weary ones, - to meet
Their thirst with water from God's music-spring;
And, bearing thus, to pour it at His feet.

Frances Ridley Havergal

1 comment:

Islandsparrow said...

I am holding in my hand a copy of Frances Ridley Havergal's Ministry in Song - published 1880. "The Song Chalice" is on page 90. Her writings are exquisite.

I'm enjoying your baby pictures, poems and honeymoon pics.

Thanks for dropping by my blog.